Monday, July 7, 2008

Thing #12A Creating Community Through Commenting

Disclaimer: This post is whiny with a purpose so put on your humor hat, please!

Now that we are on the subject, I do have one thing I have wanted to say about this. Once again, this is more of a growl than a purr or a roar, so get ready.
My number one problem with commenting is the simple process of getting the correct username in the box and getting it to appear on the page after I have written my comment. Okay, now my shame is out there for all to read about. I just don't know what I am doing wrong some days. There are just too many names to remember: screen names, usernames, email addresses, I never can remember which one I am supposed to use. I think I am typing in the same username but some days it likes it and some days it doesn't. Maybe I'm also not really typing those crazy words correctly, or I'm not choosing the right options, or I'm just waiting too long and it is resetting the whole system like when I wait too long to buy concert tickets and and it tells me that my time has elapsed and I'll have to start the whole process over. Okay, maybe it's not like that at all.
Now that I have gotten that out of the way, I feel much better. I'm sure now that I have confessed the stupidest of problems, it won't ever happen again and I'll feel all empowered...
(That is my version of hope, by the way!)

But seriously, while reading the posts about commenting others' blogs, I did find that I agree and that I am at least trying to do some of the things they talk about. First in How to Comment Like a King (or Queen!) I thought of the time I was not afraid to comment on a blog where I had a different opinion from others. I thought my opinion was mature, fresh, and structured and I submitted my opinion in a light, non judgemental way. Mind you, this was one of the times I couldn't get the blooming thing to actually post, but it really sounded great and I was very proud of myself for trying three times to post it. It's probably a good thing this was only a comment about the Bachelorette's choice about who she let go at the rose ceremony.
10 Techniques to Get More Comments on Your Blog prompts me to ask questions of my readers. I used this techniques back a few posts ago when I was having trouble with my title. I did get a comment and tried the suggestion. I like this way of solving problems and getting feedback. It didn't solve this particular problem, but it did make me think outside the box about other ways to handle the situation. I need comments whether to give me a direct answer, to spur a new outlook, or to nudge me into thinking of other ideas for my library or blog material. Who among us hasn't been sitting there listening to someone or reading something and then a question hits us? Politeness keeps us from interrupting, but in a blog situation, aren't most writers putting themselves out there for that very reason, to be interrupted? Not rudely, but politely, with a comment. Why not ask questions to your readers as you are writing so that your readers can feel like a part of the process? Am I making any sense at all? (Is it too obvious what I just did? )
A few other things:
1. Yes, I know now that I should always read the entire post before commenting... enough said.
2. I haven't FOUND the smiley faces yet so I can't use them.
3. Ditto with the cute little pictures to put along the side of my name next to my comment. (Is that a separate Thing?)
4. Don't get me started on the alias vs nickname vs real name thing. You just don't have the time.

3 comments:

Grendel said...

Yes! You are making sense!

VWB said...

i think it is the funny letters in the box more than anything else...some days I just can not "see" them correctly! makes me crazy!

Terry said...

You crack me up! I've had great posts go into the ether as well. Their loss. I would have chosen Jason...but I'm not 25.