Thursday, June 12, 2008

Thing #6 Trading Card

Okay, I really like this one and it was so easy. I can see so many uses for this next year. During 4th grade's oceanography unit, 1st grade's insect unit or 2nd grade's bird unit are just a few. I may even start out the year by making one for myself to put in all of the teachers' goodie bags. (Can I use my avatar picture?) this will be fun to demonstrate on an Activboard too. The bigger the better. And the possibilities are endless: Colonial America, presidents, states, a character from book report books. I know, I am preaching to the choir. I haven't even begun to really go beyond the surface yet with the possibilities, but I also know that we don't want everything to end up being on a trading card. That happens every time something new comes along like Life Maps did years ago. Then everyone and his dog has to do one and so the students are doing the same thing every year in every class. But it is a good quick way to make sure students are getting the main ideas of a unit and can visualize a representation by selecting an appropriate picture. Not to mention the technology skills they are using. Rambling!
Okay, here is a trading card using my youngest son who just (and finally, hallelujah) graduated. He helped come up with the categories. Some of mine were outdated. Then we had too many and had to delete some. See what great stuff this is... it makes you want to do more than you have room for. Ooooh, summarizing skills and finding just the main ideas, not the details. I digress.

3 comments:

VWB said...

Congrats on the graduation...know you are a proud mom!

Weedin said...

What a fun trading card! Very creative and a great way to make the assignment meaningful.

Congrats on your son's graduation!

Grendel said...

I made a trading card from a family picture, printed it out full size and in color for each child, and framed them so now each child has a framed copy for his house/room.